During the Great War, Nathan Hale Chapter members formed a Red Cross Unit. This unit met at the Wilder Charities Building in downtown St. Paul (the building was torn down to make way for the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts). Chapter members met at the Wilder Building two days a week to make surgical dressings. One chapter member was a Red Cross Unit Director. Members also sewed sheets, pillow cases, napkins and pajamas. Several chapter members were directors of surgical dressing teams.
“DAR Float in
2nd Red Cross War fund campaign,
St. Paul, Minn. ca 1918”
Photo courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society.
Households represented by the chapter purchased $11,000 of Liberty Bonds and $1,765 of “Thrift Stamps.” The chapter collected 50 cents from each member to help with the restoration of the French village of Tilloloy. Chapter members knit over 500 garments.
Chapter members also used their kitchen skills for the benefit of the soldiers at Fort Snelling. (1918 letter, Nathan Hale Archives)